Thursday 22 September 2016

Trees, Rocks and Water

To join O.K. for the long weekend in Austria where he'd been staying already since Monday, I travelled to the nearest place with a railway station - Dornbirn, about 35 km from "our" village.

A few weekends ago, during a neighbourhood party we attended in O.K.'s village, we mentioned our holiday plans to the nice folk sharing our table. One of them told us of a great walk through two gorges near Dornbirn, and we heeded her advice last Friday, driving there instead of heading straight "home" to the hotel.

It really was a good recommendation, as we spent a few enjoyable hours there in the woods among trees, rocks and water. See for yourself:

Well-laid board walks lead through the gorge. It is called Rappenloch-Schlucht (literally "black horse hole gorge") and, according to wikipedia, one of the largest gorges in mid-Europe.
For many years, it was the main water supply for the villages at its end, and with the onset of industrialisation, the water was also used to generate power. There is still a small power plant there, as you'll see further down.
 










This pretty building is the power plant. Through the ground floor windows, one can have a look at the old (still working) machinery.



Kay, this one is for you:



It was a spectacular walk, and not too strenuous because of the well-made board walks and steps everywhere. Just right for me to stretch my legs after having sat on various trains for about 4 hours!
The weather was, as you can see, overcast but dry and not too chilly.
I imagine it will be great for walks there when the trees turn to their autumn colours.

13 comments:

  1. Dear Librarian,
    Thanks for the visit. Your pictures open up new Austria for me. I’m more of urban type of traveler: Salzburg beauties, Melk Abbey, Hoffburg in Vienna... The walk you made looks enchanting though.
    I write in English and Russian and there’s Google Translate option in my blog, so it’s not a problem. Drop in when you have a minute! This one is in English: Whodunit: launch of a new name.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, the post you opened asks: What are your happy moments? People from across the globe shared theirs - Japan, Spain, Alyaska - makes an absorbing reading. Each has his own happy moments. I guess, on holidays these are abundant, enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irina; I didn't think of using the translation option as I have only ever seen very funny results with automated translations so far :-) Maybe it's different on your blog, I shall check it out.

      I've been to Salzburg years ago and was, to be honest, a little disappointed with the city. But I suppose it depends very much on where and when you go, and with what goal.

      Delete
  3. Ah, how beautiful! This reminds me very much of Tallulah Gorge in North Georgia. You are allowed in the water but only at certain times, the power company will sometimes release the water and then, you are NOT allowed in the water!
    I love the hearts on the building, and they also look like eyes don't they, with the building making a face!
    Oh! And this also reminds me of Cloudland Canyon which I only saw once but I wrote about it years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, now that you say it, the shed really looks like a face with the hearts for eyes - didn't notice until you commented on it!
      There are signs put up near the river and lake at Rappenloch-Schlucht that prohibit people in the water, and for good reason.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful and unusual walk! I wonder if the heights would have bothered me at all...The raspberry color of the power plant is lovely, especially in that setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heights were quite impressive, the photos don't really do them justice. So if you aren't very good with heights, you would have done well to stick to the high side of the paths.
      I really liked the power plant, such an emphasis on beauty for an industrial building! (It was built on purpose, not a converted residence or something.)

      Delete
  5. Trees, rocks and water: what more could the soul desire?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In spite of good board walks I think I might have felt a bit giddy... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was perfectly safe leaning over the railing to take those "top down" pictures, but I guess my sister would not have wanted to walk there, or anyone else having a problem with heights. You could see through the boards sometimes...

      Delete
  7. Fantastic looking place. I would love to walk there. But a walk made for a sunny and very hot day I think, because then the shade of the trees would be really welcome rather than even a bit chilly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a very hot day, I don't think I'd want to take that walk, as it goes up very steep steps for good part of the way and I don't like breaking a sweat while walking.
      But yes, some sunshine would have been welcome!

      Delete