Sunday 31 July 2016

Read in 2016 - 24: Sandlands

This morning, I finished reading "Sandlands" - but wished it would have gone on! Rosy Thornton's short stories managed to make me want to read more, lots more, about nearly each and every character I encountered.

First of all, the language/style of writing: So very good! Proper, good, often elegant English, without ever being so high-brow as to be wearisome or hard to understand. Especially after my previous read, this book brought home the difference between someone who thinks they can write and someone who truly is a good writer.

If the stories were paintings, I would say the author managed to depict each character accurately with a few brush strokes. I could picture them all, even hear their voices - something that sometimes does not even happen to me for the main cast of a full-length novel.
Their actions, thoughts and background stories were credible and realistic. Even the mysterious bits were plausible - one could read "more" into those bits, if so inclined, but also simply find natural explanations for everything.

Had I to choose a favourite out of this collection of short stories (all set in or near the same village), I wouldn't know which one. They all "need" each other, I think, to give a complete picture, even though each story can very well stand alone.
Should the author ever decide to create a novel (or even a series of books) about the village, its inhabitants past and present, visitors and legends, I would make sure to get my own copy as soon as it became available.


Thank you, Rosy - reading "Sandlands" was 99 % pleasure, and 1 % disappointment, when each story ended far too soon for my liking!

You can find out more about Rosy and her books at www.rosythornton.com
 



- - -


About three weeks ago, completely out of the blue, Rosy Thornton approached me by email, asking whether I'd be interested in reading and reviewing her latest book. I must admit I had not heard of her before, but the few times so far that I have been similarly contacted by authors have all resulted in rewarding reading experiences and an interesting correspondence with kind and generous people - the authors themselves - who have all then commented on my reviews.


The contents of my reviews are not influenced by how I came about a certain book, or whether I "know" the author or not. If I am not happy about a book or a specific aspect of it, I will say so. 
Anyone who asks me to read and review their work will get my honest opinion - nothing more, nothing less.
I utterly respect anyone who has the inspiration (and the necessary stamina to follow it up!) to write a book. My literary endeavours stop at the end of each blog post.

13 comments:

  1. Good to know!!!
    Do you read Alice Munro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name rings a bell, but I don't think I have ever read anything by her. I've just checked on my blog (that search bar in the top left corner is so useful!), as it is my "outsourced" memory :-)

      Delete
  2. I might even be able to read short stories! What a fantastic review! I just looked it up and it is not published in the USA just yet, maybe I will look for it the next time I am in England! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see what Rosy wrote, Kay? You can order her book online and have free delivery :-)
      I think the last time I read short stories before this was when I was still at school.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your lovely, generous review, Meike! I am so pleased that you enjoyed my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The generosity was yours, Rosy, for having me offered the book for my kindle! And I mean every word of my review.

      Delete
  4. And Kay G - you can order my book now online from the Book Depository, who offer free delivery worldwide:
    http://www.bookdepository.com/Sandlands-Rosy-Thornton/9781910985045
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds just wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy it, Nan. You like quiet books, I know :-)

      Delete
  6. Well deserved review. Beautifully written stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well deserved it is, Barbara!
      If I am not mistaken, this is your first comment on my blog. Welcome to my "Mental Library"!

      Delete
  7. I'm going to look for this. I was just thinking the other day that I should read more short stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before this book, I'd not read any short stories since school, I think! If you read this, I'll be interested to know your opinion.

      Delete