Sunday 7 December 2014

November Sun

All of last month was unusually mild, and also the first week of December was not as cold as I feared. At 3 Celsius (that's 3 degrees above the freezing point of water), it has not snowed here yet, and as far as I am concerned, there is no need for snow until a few days before Christmas. On the 2nd of January, I want all snow (if there should be any) to be gone, and spring to start :-)

To show you what many days were like last month in my area, here are some pictures taken on the 23rd of November during a very pleasant Sunday afternoon walk down by the river Neckar, maybe a 15-minute-drive from where I live:

The village of Poppenweiler (administratively, it belongs to Ludwigsburg) on the other side of the Neckar.




This part of the river bank has seen some change for the better in recent years. After in the last century the river was straightened in order to facilitate the traffic of freight barges and ships, a few years ago efforts have been made to re-naturalize the original meandering banks. There are now some tiny islets between the shallower arms of the river, where people are not allowed. They serve as important and welcome retreats for all kinds of birds.


From this mini-nature reserve, a path leads along the river to the huge lock. The lock was built in the mid-1950s and consists of a double lock, a small water power station on one side and a weir in the middle.


The huge gates, the endless rush of masses of water down the steep walls and the churning at the bottom of the lock hold a strange fascination for me. I could watch and listen for hours; it almost has a meditative effect.

But we did not stay there longer than it took me to walk across the bridge and back, and stop for these pictures.
To get back to the car, we used a different route across fields that were still surprisingly green, in the sun that was warm enough to carry my coat instead of wearing it.

11 comments:

  1. Very nice walk, I can see that....I'm happy this morning because after days of grayness I woke up to glorious sunshine this morning......And we will hit 40 Celsius today...We're having a mini heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lied! Not intentionally....40 Fahrenheit! We not having that much of a heat wave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read "40 Celsius" my mouth fell open... but then I read your second comment :-)
      It has not been sunny for a whole week here, and I am beginning to miss it. Still, I try to catch daylight whenever I can, as even on an overcast day you collect more lux in 15 minutes outside than during the entire day underneath the office lamp.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for another fascinating insider's view of your local area. If a word balloon had come out of the grey heron's beak it would have said "Holen Sie sich verlorene Dame! Das ist mein Ufer !"
    (Errors due to Google Translator!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the heron would have said it just like that. I imagine a bird's approach to language being quite different to that of humans, so that could have been exactly what he said. The second sentence is 100 % correct, by the way (by human standards).

      Delete
  4. Another welcome and splendid wander around a part of your environment. I love water. I cannot imagine living far away from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearly all humans are - more or less - drawn to water and enjoy being by, in or on the water. I don't have to be in it, I just like to walk along a river, lake or the Sea, no matter the weather. Have you ever come across the "Acquatic Ape" theory, Graham? I wrote about it on my blog in 2009:
      http://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.de/2009/07/fact-or-fiction.html

      Delete
  5. What a pretty walk so late in autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had it not been for the colours and difference in light, I could have been fooled into thinking this was March or April!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pictures, and gorgeous blue sky! We're still having sunny days here in Sicily but getting a bit cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was windy and grey here today, with brief glimpses of sun in the morning. Right now (7.30 pm) it is just below zero out there, so there could be a little snow tomorrow!

      Delete