Sunday 30 March 2014

Party Post

Two years ago, I threw my first cocktail party. The event was repeated in 2013, and I did not have to think about what to do for my birthday this year: it was, of course, yet another cocktail party. How easily a good thing becomes tradition!

The 2014 one presented a bit of a challenge, in that I was actually getting ready for three things at once: the party, having a house guest for the weekend, and leaving the day after the party for a week away from home (on a work-related course). But none of it is particularly time-consuming to prepare, and so it wasn't a problem; I just had to make sure everything was ready when it had to be. 

Friends and family helped with the party stuff; my sister made savoury biscuits and dainty little cocktail sandwiches, my parents lent me the large long-stemmed wine glasses that are perfect for Hugo and Aperol Spritz, my Mum made a "Cold Dog", and I was once again able to borrow the vintage 1950s dishes and bowls for all the snacks and things from a friend. RJ went booze shopping with me, since I can't carry more than a few bottles on foot.
The lovely 1950s dishes and party things, courtesy of one of my friends.
Snack away!
If you prefer something sweet, try a piece of "Cold Dog".

The bar was, as before, set up in the kitchen. The living room looked just like it did in the pictures you can find on the 2012 and 2013 posts, with the garlands and candles and chairs. 
The steel bowl was filled with crushed ice just when the first guests arrived. The lime is needed for several drinks, such as Mojito.

19 invitations were sent out; there were 11 of us there in the end. It was a great occasion to be with my friends and family, drink my favourite cocktails, and of course it was also an occasion to dress up - always welcome with me!

Normally, my first choice for a cocktail party outfit would not be a dirndl. But satin practically screams "party!!!", and since my hand-made dirndl has a pink satin skirt, I wore it for the first time since I bought it in December.

Every year, I am amazed at the number of presents and cards I get for my birthday. And once again, everybody knew just what to give me; there were books, chocolate, not just one but TWO necklaces, a season's ticket for the palace grounds, vouchers for the spa near where I live, and much, much more. Since my guests knew that I was going to leave the very next day, they were all sensible and didn't give me any flowers.

In short: I had a great time, and hope the same was true for everybody else who was there! A lot of booze was left over, which means that I will "have to" throw another party soon...

20 comments:

  1. I love the beauty of the simple as in your friend's dishes. You and your helpers put together a tasty looking bits of food. Happy belated birthday to you, Meike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nonnie! The food was all their work, I only provided the drinks :-)
      I love those 1950s things.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could have attended, looks like a fun time! I love those 1950s dishes. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! So do I (love the 50s dishes).

      Delete
  3. I also wish I could have been there!
    I think I would love your Mum's Cold Dog, why is it called that?
    And I am happy that you wore that pretty dirndl...it's perfect!
    Happy Belated birthday to you, dear Meike! Here's a toast to many more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay!
      I don't know how the Cold Dog got its name; I only know it has been a classic dish served at children's birthday parties since the 1950s at least. It is VERY rich, and not even I can eat more than a small piece at a time.

      Delete
  4. That dress is just the most darling, what fun it must be to wear.
    Happy Birthday,
    so nice to see the 'long' shots of your place, it looks roomy.
    Great time of year to have a birthday, right along with a spring kickoff!
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the vintage rose-print fabric of the dress and apron, I just knew I wanted it!
      My place is a good size for one person, and we did not feel crammed when there were still two of us plus a cat living here. I have about 75 m2 divided between 3 rooms, kitchen large enough to hold a table and chairs, and a small bathroom.

      Delete
  5. That's lovely, Meike. Sounds as if you had a wonderful birthday! Many happy returns to you! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Meike,
    Well, this looks to be a perfectly wonderful regular event! Such a fun way to celebrate and now you can surely organise everything in your sleep!

    We are certain that everyone would have had a wonderful time as you had gone to such lengths to make it all enjoyable. And, what great gifts! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky me indeed! Life is great... if you happen to be Me.
      Yes, by now I can write up a shopping list for a cocktail party in my sleep!

      Delete
  7. Wishing you many happy returns of the day, and another fun party soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday. I hope you have many more of them but not so many that you wish for the last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian - I hope for many more while I feel as good as these days, too.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday! How wonderful everything looks. My favorite kind of party is always one where some of my family and friends help with getting things ready for it. You look just wonderful in your dirndl, especially with the great shoes! And your presents, oh my! My grandfather would have said, "What a lot of loot!" I had to order the Hadfield book for my son after reading about it on amazon. I think I shall have to read it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi! I will of course blog about the book once I've read it, and it will be interesting to compare notes.

      Delete
  10. Belated happy birthday! I cannot believe it's been a year since your last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frances! Well, I have hosted (and posted) a few more events since my 2013 birthday party, so maybe that is why it doesn't feel like it's been a year since. But actually, 46 does not feel any different to 45.

      Delete