Sunday 8 December 2013

Time For All That Again!

After some rather boring book reviews as my last two posts, I have some more Decembery pictures for you today.


Three posts back, I already told you about the Christmas market. Last week, my Mum, my sister and I went there for our first visit of this season. After I had taken this picture, we had a look at nearly every stall to find presents for my Yorkshire family, and were of course successful.


This week, I wrapped up all the little gifts for them and posted the parcel to England, hoping it will get there alright and in time. In all the years such parcels have been going back and forth between Ludwigsburg and Ripon, only once one from Mary got lost on its way to us.

Last Saturday, just in time for the 1st of the four Advent Sundays, I put up what little decoration I use this time of the year. You'll probably recognize some of it from last year:


My living room, with the Advent wreath kindly given to me by my parents.


The desk in the Third Room, with my favourite Christmas cards from past years underneath the glass plate. (That thing gets heavier every year!)


This angel was given to me years ago by one of my Mum's friends, and it always has its place in the Third Room, too. (And now I am wondering whether Frances will see things in the wood of the cabinet doors!)


I can't remember who gave me this sweet little pop-up card, there is no note on the back.


The plate of baubles is new this year. I like it!

By now, Christmas cards have begun to arrive, and the sideboard in my living room is filling up nicely with them. Lots of activities - some Christmas-/Advent-related, some not - have been going on for me since the start of this month, which I will tell you about in another post or three.

12 comments:

  1. I really really must make an effort to find some decorations and get in the spirit - although Jessie's issue has made me feel a lot less festive!
    I actually found myself thinking yesterday that for the first time in thirty years, perhaps I wouldn't put a tree up! I think Alex has other ideas so he may save me from myself....maybe just a little real one instead. In a pot even...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand very well that Jessie's issue affects your mood that way. In my opinion, someone who does not feel like decorating (or baking cookies, buying presents etc.) for Christmas or any other occasion should not feel obliged to do it. I do it because I really like it, but if I didn't, then I wouldn't :-)
      Never had a tree of my own, since there is always a beautiful tree at my parents', where I celebrate Christmas anyway.

      Delete
  2. I suppose (says I reluctantly) that I should get out my Christmas decoration again. I'm not really miserable. In fact I'm a very happy person. I just don't go for decorating my house at Christmas - or at any other time come to that. My Mum always had the Christmas decorations down on the first available opportunity. Usually after we'd had friends in for New Year. I take after her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't decorate if you don't want to, Graham - it is your place, after all, and you're the one who decides what it looks like.
      All other times of the year (parties not counting), I am anti-decoration. I hate clutter, and "stuff" on my nice empty surfaces. But Christmas is my one exception. On the 6th of January, everything is put away again for another year, which always makes me feel a mixture of relief and sadness.

      Delete
  3. I see a face in your cabinet doors and the angel could be a (big!) teardrop falling from one of the eyes... You probably remember that I put up my decorations gradually. The candlesticks etc that I put up for 1st Advent are the decorations that matter most to me. The more cluttery stuff (angels and little brownies and whatnot) stay in their boxes until closer to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cabinet doorknobs are the eyes, and the dark spot in the wood is like a tiny, sad mouth.
      For me, all the Christmas decorating has to be done in one go (which only takes about half an hour anyway), or I won't want to do anymore.

      Delete
  4. I haven't put up much in the line of decorations yet. Sometimes the decorating can be a bit of a chore, and it's up for such a short time. I've always said I tried to remember that what goes up, must come down, and to use a bit of restraint. We'll have to see how I feel in a day or two. Right now I have some cleaning and other chores to do. Have ag reat day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I this is about the most decoration you'll ever see in my flat and it took me maybe half an hour to do it, it isn't much of a chore for me; instead, I enjoy getting out all my favourite ornaments again and starting the Christmas season this way. I want to have deco up for the 1st Advent Sunday and usually take it down on the 6th of January, so it stays up for about 5-6 weeks.
      Of course, cleaning and regular chores take prededence; I could not put anything up if I had not done my weekly round of cleaning first.
      Hope you'll feel more "christmassy" in a few days - there is still time :-)

      Delete
  5. I can see the happy spirit of Christmas is filling up your world! Mine too! I don't accomplish everything in one go, but I do far less than I used to. Still, the spirit is here. I am happily typing this while wearing the latest socks from your Mum and will give the little wooden gifts she sends with them to my granddaughters for their tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know the socks have arrived, Kristi, and thank you once again for being such a good and loyal customer to my Mum's Etsy shop!
      You are right, the spirit can be there even with just a few favourite items that symbolize Christmas for us.

      Delete
  6. It is always nice to see the Christmassy stuff coming out. Today I have to write my cards - something I've been telling myself there is loads of time for. But there ISN'T!! And presents - I have been telling myself there is loads of time to buy them, but...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my cards are written and all my presents are there in the cabinet in the Third Room, just waiting to be wrapped up. I like doing all these things early, and then I can fully enjoy the weeks leading up to Christmas without having to remember or feel under pressure about anything.

      Delete