Thursday 29 November 2012

November Sun

In this part of the globe, November is usually not associated with sun - it is supposed to be a grey, wet, foggy and cold month, and (if one can believe the statistics) the month with the highest suicide rate of the year.

Well, we did have nice sunny weather this month; last Sunday, for instance, was so mild and sunny, if it had not been for the lack of flowers and birdsong outside, one could have been fooled into believing it was March or April.
I went for a run and almost regretted wearing the red fluffy zip-up you saw here, but going short-sleeved would have been inviting a cold, and I have only just managed to finally get rid of that nasty cough (took me almost four weeks!).

When I woke up on Monday morning, this was the first view that greeted my eyes:


Since then, though, I'm afraid the weather has changed and is now more like what November is supposed to be. We've had non-stop rain for two nights and two days now, which has kept me from visiting the Christmas market (it opened on Tuesday).
It is nothing like the flooding I have read about in parts of the UK, though, and seen on Friko's blog, so I really should not complain.

Tomorrow, according to the forecast, we can expect it to be dry, but with quite a drop in temperature. We might even have some snow for the first Advent weekend. Anyway - I'll go dancing on Saturday night, and will be putting up some Christmas decoration in the morning, this being the only time of the year where I allow for my beloved clean, empty spaces to be covered :-)

12 comments:

  1. How nice for you to see a bit of sun. We've been having a very grey week here, but here too a drop in temperature is predicted for the weekend. Maybe a glimpse of the sun as well but one never knows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boss came here today, he is about 2 hours away by car, and he said they already have 20 cm of snow there... so it'll quite certainly come here over the next few days, too.

      Delete
  2. Create your sunshine indoors with your Christmas cheer, it helps keep the gloom away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And from the 21st of December onwards - less than a month away! - the days will slowly but surely become longer again!

      Delete
  3. What a great light coming through the shades! And Bagman, of course, followed the link to your running suit. He'd probably try and catch up with you if he saw you jogging but he'd be winded in two blocks. Weather is a bit cool in South Carolina too but Spring comes in February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an uplifting sight first thing in the morning, yes, that's why I thought I'd share it with you. I believe Bagman could outrun me anytime if he had the right motivation :-D

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that you have seen some sunshine, even for a short time. We in Indiana are due for warmer temps this weekend. Weather is like a seesaw in Indiana.
    wishes for a wonderful weekend for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had the most wonderful November! Our leaves didn't really change didn't this month and they were so beautiful!
    Love the photo of the light streaming through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now snowing here, so we may get a White Weekend in time for the first Advent Sunday.

      Delete
  6. I hope that you don't have a horrible winter. Cold sunny days in winter can be so good but they seem few and far between these days (or were when I was last in the UK for a winter and they seem to be getting worse). I expect, though, that at my age one has rose tinted specs on a lot when it comes to the crisp snowy days of yore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get a cold sunny day on Saturday, and the sun was still around when I woke up on Sunday morning, but then the sky turned tin grey and it kept snowing lightly for almost all of Sunday.
      I am so not keen on the cold, but I'll deal with it and try to keep as warm as possible.

      Delete