Thursday 30 August 2012

Fashion Calendar: August

Summer for many people means travelling, and it was no different for me.
Twice this month I went away; the first time was for the long weekend in France (see my previous posts for the travelog), and the second time for work: like every year since 2005 or so, I have been working for EA (Electronic Arts) at the GamesCom (formerly GamesConvention). This year, I didn't take any pictures at the GamesCom, but you can get a pretty good idea of what it was like from last year's post about the show here.

Since this post is part of my "Fashion Calendar" series, I better get to the point:
What to wear for travelling.

First of all, travelling for me usually means packing lightly, as I need to be able to carry my stuff on my own at all times, sometimes for considerable distances (you know how long the walking ways in airports and at train stations can be). It never takes me longer than half an hour to get ready, being used to both business and leisure travelling.

As for the actual outfit, that depends mainly on the weather, on the distance to cover and on what I expect to be doing upon my arrival.

For instance, for the weekend in France, I knew we were going to be picked up at the airport by W and then driven to the village to spend the rest of the evening with the family, and not going anywhere else. Therefore, casual summer clothes were my choice; not too summery (no spaghetti strap top or lightweight dress or skirt), as I didn't want to be cold on the plane where the airconditioning often makes for chilly temperatures.
This outfit did not only fit all of those criteria, it also went well with the colour of my luggage, as you can see - which happens to be my favourite colour :-)

12 comments:

  1. Complimenti per la scelta dell'abbigliamento,pratico ed elegante!Io ogni volta che vado in vacanza riempio la valigia di vestiti e non li riesco mai a mettere tutti quanti!!!Eppoi ogni giorno mi piace cambiare...ho letto i post del tuo viaggio in Francia,io amo questa nazione ho visitato pero' solo Parigi e la Provenza,spero un giorno di poterci tornare!A presto!
    Cri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Cri! I miei parenti vivono in Provenza, e siamo stati a vederli due anni fa per il 70. compleanno di mia zia. È davvero un'area tanta pittoresca!

      Delete
  2. Hello Meike:
    We could not agree with you more about travelling lightly. One always seems to have to walk for positively miles wherever and however one travels and so it is good to only have the barest of essentials to carry. Your lemon inspired travelling clothes look both practical and cheery, as does the luggage. Clearly you believe in taking the sunshine with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sunniness is probably one reason why I like the colour yellow so much!
      While I usually don't mind walking at all (quite the contrary), train stations and airports hardly make for nice walks, and I don't like being loaded with a lot of stuff.

      Delete
  3. Comfortable, cool and cheerful!
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear. You put me to shame, Meike. I'm glad you can't see the contents of my wardrobe! But you look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frances! And putting anyone to shame is never my intention, you know.

      Delete
  5. Love the clothes and bags! Yellow is such a cheerful color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan! Sometimes I choose yellow or bright pink deliberately on a grey overcast day to counterbalance it.

      Delete
  6. I remember how much a bright yellow raincoat would cheer me up on those long gray days in England when it would take weeks to see the sun. Being from Georgia, I was surprised that it could go so long without the sun once coming out! Your clothes are practical and stylish, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! You are so right about the yellow raincoats. They do indeed cheer one up a little when the sun doesn't come out for days or weeks on end.

      Delete